Miniature Wargames, Battlegames, Wargames Illustrated, Wargamers Annual, WSS, Practical Wargamer, a.o.
==> Click here to access the complete Index <==
(Most recent additions: March 2017)
(Most recent additions: March 2017)
|This page received the|
Battlegames Award for Excellence
January 25, 2017
Donations of old magazines are graciously accepted. Thanks to:
- Robert McLean who donated a dozen of Practical Wargamer and Miniature Wargames in April 2016.
- Jim Duncan, who brought 50 issues of Miniature Wargames - and Wargames Illustrated 111 (which I was missing!) to CRISIS 2016 and donated them to this project.
- Pascal Toupy, who provided me with a copy of Wargames Illustrated issue 51 and Wargames World 5, thereby completing this series (March 2017).
- I am interested in acquiring issues of Miniature Wargaming (pre issue 361) and Practical Wargamer from those of you who are not interested in keeping them. I won't offer you any money for them, but I'll take them off your hands and free up your storage space. Even if you have only a few issues to give away, please consider donating them :-). I used to own quite a lot of issues of MW and PW, but gave them all away over the years ...
- Missing issues of Miniature Wargames: 1-120, 122-148, 149-197, 199-202, 204-224, 237, 240, 248, 251, 252, 254, 255, 277, 281-311, 313-360
How to use?Access the link above (links to a Google Sheet file on Google Drive). You cannot change anything in the file, but you can add comments (use "Insert Comment") if you think I missed or misclassified articles.
To search, use the "Data --> Filter View" operation. This allows you to select data fields based on values, such that you can easily search for all articles related to the Ancients period, or list all articles containing a scenario, etc. Alternatively, you can search for any keyword in the entire file.
Note that different magazines all have their own tab in the spreadsheet.
A remark w.r.t period: Some periods have subcategories. E.g. for WW2 you'll find some subtheatres such as WW2/Africa or WW2/Marketgarden. Often, I introduced those at a later stage when a catgeory became too large, but this means some older entries might still fall under the more generic category. I claim no 100% correctness, but if you see obvious errors, please report them.
Current contents (alphabetical order)
- Battlegames: 1-34 (complete, all issues indexed)
- Battlegames ran bimonthly from March 2006 till March 2013, when it was "merged" into the new Miniature Wargames with Battlegames.
- Back issues: http://www.payhip.com/henryhyde or http://www.wargamevault.com
- Classic Wargamer's Journal: issues 0-4
- CWJ was a publication by Phil Olley, and 5 issues appeared during 2010-2011.
- Miniature Wargames
- 1-360: ~52 issues entered.
- Henry Hyde has provided me with pdf files containing an extensive index for issues 1-350.
- 361-402: all issues Miniature Wargames with Battlegames entered.
- 403+: all issues published so far entered. Starting issue 403 (October 2016), "with Battlegames" was dropped from the title.
- For additional digital content, see here (newest) or here (recent issues) or here (older issues).
- Back issues: see publisher's website.
- Practical Wargamer: 7 issues entered. Many issues are still missing.
- PW was published from Autumn 1987 to February 1999 (Vol 13, 1).
- Vae Victis: selected issues.
- Wargamers Annual:
- Annuals 2010 to 2016, including the Summer specials.
- Wargamer's Notes
- A digital magazine, 1st issue was published January 2017
- Wargames Illustrated
- 1-259 all entered. These are the "black cover" issues (September 1987 to May 2009), up to the the takeover of the magazine by Battlefront in 2009.
- For issues starting from 260 (June 2009), see publisher's website.
- Special issues of Wargames World (spin-off from Wargames Illustrated during the late 80s): issues 1-5.
- Wargames Journal
- Sampler issue
- Wargames, Soldiers, Strategy (WSS)
- All issues from my collection entered.
- All articles that relate to gaming (rules, scenarios, history, campaigns, ...)
- Columns and opinion pieces: some of them (personal selection). Columns are a good read at the time of publication, but often lose relevance several years later.
- Reviews of products are not included. This would be useful if indexed by product, but that is way too much work. Exceptions are extensive reviews, typically mixed in with designer notes.
- Reports of conventions and gaming days are not included. Again, the relevance is debatable several years after the facts.
- Besides the usual (title, author, issue number, ...) I also have listed the period using common abbreviations, and added a checkmark whether the article contains a scenario / rules / campaign information / historical background / modeling. The Misc category indicates anything else, and that should be obvious from the Remarks column, which might also contain additional info that could facilitate searching or locating a specific article.
- If you spot errors, want to make additions for a certain entry, ... please comment in the file itself, and I will adjust the entry accordingly.
- Can you scan a specific article for me?
Short answer: No, please find a back issue instead.
Long answer: Especially for newer issues and/or magazines still in print that are offering back issues, I think it would be inappropriate. But even if it would be ok for older magazine articles w.r.t. copyright, I simply don't want to spend the time doing this.
- Can you provide some more information on an article before I order a backcopy?
This is something I could do. E.g. an article that provides a set of rules, but you would like to know whether these are skirmish rules or grand-tactical; or you would like to know how much history an article really contains about a specific battle. However, bear in mind I do this as a hobby project, so I feel no obligation to provide you with answer within 24 hours.
- When will issue such-and-so be included?
I will only enter the issues that are physically in my collection. If anyone wants to add other content, please contact me and perhaps we can set something up. If you have a similar index of your own, I can always include it in the additional links provided below.
- Are existing entries updated or corrected?
Yes. When I look up articles for my own use, I regularly update the relevant entry. Usually this means adding some more notes in the remarks section. Occasionally, a specific article entry is substantially corrected, e.g. when it was mislabeled or categorized in a different period.
- Can I make a copy of the entire file for my own use?
Sure, why not? Buy me a beer at the next convention ;-)
Similar resources for wargaming related magazinesMiniature Wargaming
- Lone Warrior
- Miniature Wargames
- Slingshot Index (on Society of Ancients' website)
- Wargamer's Newsletter (on the Vintage Wargaming Blog)
- Wargames Illustrated (recent issues only?):
- Wargames Soldiers Strategy
- Vae Victis
- The General (Avalon Hill)
- Ares (SPI)
- Thread on Boardgamegeek that lists some resources for board wargames
- Page on The Tactical Wargamer that has an overview of various wargaming magazines.