Tuesday 25 July 2017

Scifi buildings from Fantasy Forge

In 1992, on a trip to European Gencon in Camber Sands, England, I bought a new ruleset for Scifi skirmish games called Kryomek. It seemed like the next big thing to me, and so I eagerly bought a number of figures, and from the same company (Fantasy Forge) also a resin sci building - a dome with a heavy cannon.

Needless to say, we never played Kryomek, but the dome-shaped building featured frequently in many scifi games we played during the past 25 years. It was always my intention to buy more of these buildingsdue to their nice modular design, but that plan never materialized.

A few months ago, at the Bring&Buy at  CRISIS, there was a fellow wargamer selling a few more of these building modules. Of course, I needed to have them.

So, here they are. I tried to paint them in the same shade of green as I did the original 25 years ago, but that was more difficult than I thought. Probably also because the original colours have faded over the years.



12 comments:

  1. You know, I've looked high and low for these buildings that I bought on E-Bay...And here they are! Who knew they were from a 1992 game. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're still sold by Scotia Grendel (look in Scenics/28mm Sci Fi - they're a few pages in)

      Delete
    2. Scotia Grendel is still active? Judging by their website, it doesn't seem they are still doing business?

      Delete
    3. Scott, I don;t know whether they were made explicitly for Kryomek, but at the time they were sold by the same company (Fantasy Forge).

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the info! Mine are 15mm scale, is that what these buildings are?

      Delete
    5. No, these are 25mm scale. I now realize I didn't include a figure in the photograph to show the size, but if it helps, the hexes you see are 10cm from side to side.

      Delete
    6. But I guess since scifi buildings are a bit scale-independent anyway (except for the doorways?) these can be used for 15mm as well ...

      Delete
    7. Agreed, the doorways are a bit bigger but the rest work out really well for 15mm stuff. Thanks again for the info. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the modules :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Scotia Grendel is still active?"

    I've bought stuff off them this year, so yes. Despite the models being from the 90s, the castings I got were lovely; they are currently being painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that. Their website doesn't seem to get updated much ...

      Delete