Tuesday 25 August 2020

Programmed Wargames Scenarios (2): Broken Ground (a)

In this semi-lockdown period, time for another sologame. I decided to use the 2nd scenario from the Programmed Wargames Scenarios book, "Broken Ground" using my homebrewn ACW rules. Typically, I use programmed options for both sides.

The idea of the scenario is that the defender is defending a combination of lesser features such as some small hills, woods and some rocky grounds.

The first stage in these scenarios is to generate the ground. The left, centre and right sections of the battlefield are diced for randomly (3 choices for each section), and then one has to translate it to the own wargames table and what works in the rules w.r.t. movement and firing ranges.

Then, I need to role for the defending "Blue" force, and again translate the generated army list to my own system, which is not too difficult. The deployment is rolled for as well, as well as Blue's orders. These state Blue has to hold the centre ground without counterattacking, but Blue has freedom on the flanks and can use cavalry and light troops boldly.

I then do the same for Red. The plan for read is rolled for and results in "attack the centre after feinting to attack a weak flank."

Ok, that all sounds great, so here's the initial setup:

Initial setup as seen from Red's position




Initial setup as seen from Blue's position.

Turn 1, Red - in this battle the Union - starts to move on the left flank.

Turn 1, Blue (Confederates), some responses on the same flank. Light troops deployed in the woods shoot at Red's cavalry.

Turn 2, Red, I rolled for a response since Red was attacked from one of the woods. The response says Red should try to clear the woods and afterwards also clear other woods if they could surprise Red's troops again. So I continue the attack against the wood on Red's left flank, still in accordance with the overall plan and the orders.

Turn 2, Blue. I roll for a response, since Red is attacking on a weak flank for Blue, and the response is "Steady" ... limited counterplans. So I decide that Blue troops will remain where they are and simply fire at Red's troops. Blue's centre is also firing heavily at the upcoming Union troops.

To be continued ...

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, I will enjoy this. I saw you mention the book in your last post and ordered it and will probably do scenario 1 to try things out. Are your own rules actually hex based? The hex terrain seems a versatile choice to do those battlefields that have very large hills or significant contours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is certainly very valuable. I have an original, dating back 25 years or so, but I've used it extensively, also as inspiration for non-solo scenarios.
      Yes, my house rules are hex-based and have evolved over the years. 1 unit == 1 hex, and ranges are adapted to the size of my table. The Kallistra terrain is my favourite terrain system, best wargaming investment ever in terms of money vs actual usage. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Handsome setup and I LOVE to the built-in drawers underneath your table. Are these custom made? Also, are your leader cards for the old card game "Dixie" by Columbia Games?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not an actual table - simply some wooden boards on top of those drawers. Not custom-made, but I bought them in at a DIY chain. Very handy. Here's the link to the item, but I doubt it will be of much use since it's a chain operating in Belgium (and possible France): https://www.brico.be/nl/badkamer-keuken-wonen/opbergen/manden-boxen/ladesysteem-5-ladden-den-39x45x30cm/2181429

      They came in 2 versions: 5 drawers high and 3 drawers high. The 3 drawers high are slightly less wide (as you can see in the pictures) and less deep (but that's not visible. However, putting 2 blocks of 5 drawers on top of each other made the table too high. My long term plan is to make a nice top as well, with bevelled edges such that the kallistra terrain tiles are nicely lined with wooden edges.

      The leader cards are indeed from Dixie, but I'm simply using them for the images and I've put some stickers on them with stats for the commanders that make sense in my rules. Each commanders gives order to activate a unit (typically 7+ on 2D6), but depending on a move/fire/charge order the commander has a bonus. Thus, some commanders are better deployed where you want to move forward, some commanders are better in "holding and giving fire order" etc. There's also a command range (in hexes) per commander.
      I have made 10 or so different commanders with different profiles, and whenever we play a game (not only solo), we draw 3 random cards from the stack of 10 for let's say 3 commanders you have in the game. Then you deploy those commanders as you see fit. It gives some nice variation, and it forces the players to think a bit and make up their plan in function of the commander and their abilities they have drawn.

      Delete
  3. A very interesting report Phil. I haven't played Programmed Games before so I'm keen to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The game will play out during the next couple of days - I typically find time to play two turns per day or so. However, when such a solo game no longer is interesting, I don't drag it out ... but as long as I'm having fun, I keep playing it.

      Trying to stick as closely as possible to the plans and order and reactions as generated by the "Programmed Scenario" is part of the fun, of course.

      Delete