Monday 14 December 2020

Riots in Lowenheim (2)

To continue my initial thoughts on "Riots in Lowenheim", here's some more prep work I did:

  • The idea would be to list 10 (or more) story arcs, the simply roll a die and see what happens. Details for fleshing out each story arc will only be filled in when that possibility actually shows up. So I might have "A trade caravan arrives at the gates", but unless that event is rolled, I will not specify or think about details. I think it's much more fun to colour in the details based on what has already happened rather than work with a detailed list.
  • Of the 10 events, roughly 1/3 to 1/2 should lead to some form of armed conflict, such that a smallish skirmish game can be played (solo).
  • The event list will be updated each time, because either some events will no longer make sense, or new possibilities will present themselves.
  • Having played wargames and roleplaying games for over 30 years now, I have a huge library of gaming books, which I can source for ideas. Too easily we simply buy something new in the hopes of matching our interests of the moment exactly, but the wheel has been reinvented too many times already. Over the weekend, I (re)read "Irillian", a series of articles published in White Dwarf magazine during the early 80s, as well as books on running wargaming campaigns written by Tony Bath and Charles Grant, specifically the sections on how to generate personalities for campaigns. I also took a look at the scenario "Coup d'Etat" in one of Grant's scenario books, which was based on a article "Rioting in Alexandria" which appeared in Slingshot (Society of Ancients) in 1970. I still have to browse through my magazine index to see of anything that might be useful turns up.

To be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment