Sunday 16 February 2020

Game schedule 2020

Those of you who know us personally, and those of you who frequent this blog know that the frequency of our games has dropped to levels somewhere between 'once in a blue moon' and 'geological time frame'. For various reasons, both Phil and myself have, conventions aside, not hosted a game in almost two years now. This is obviously not a good thing. For nostalgia's sake, here's a photo of a game setup on my table:



Let's attempt to rectify this a bit. This post is me putting up a list of games I plan to organise at my place this year. Hopefully, by listing these games here, they might actually really happen :) . So, without further ado, here's the list.

Very probable


These games are very probably going to happen, simply because they use bits of my figure collections that are already complete and need no extra work:

  • Another Great Northern War game
  • 'All along the watchtower' -- the third game in the Grassus Gambit series. Game 1 was published way back in Miniature Wargames with Battlegames 374, game two was played many moons ago but not reported (except for the picture up top). This is Ancients, using my Celt and Roman collections.
  • Another Ancients game using my Post Roman (Arthurian) British and Saxon collection

Less probable, but still will happen


  • The battle of Linz Uhrfart in 1809, between Württemberg troops (French ally, part of the Confederacy of the Rhine) and Austrian troops, in the long tail behind the French army about to fight Aspern-Essling.
This is in the 'slightly less probable' category because I'm currently replacing my Victrix French plastics with German troops - actual Württemberg troops and (so far) two battalions of Rheinbund - one of Saxon-Coburg-Saalfeld-Gotha troops (probably including some ancestors of our king) and the other Würzburg. I know that the Würzburg battalions actually fought in Spain, but I'm calling wargamer's license on this, because they were the only ones in stock with Dave Thomas at Warcon 2020 I could build a complete battalion with. So there.

Less probable


  • A game with my nascent collection of Thirty Year's war figures (currently tallied at all of 2 pike and 2 shot units), using Pikeman's Lament
  • If my dwarves get to a playable level (currently tallied at one unit of crossbowmen and one of artillery), and Phil or JP (who has a wonderful Orc army) are willing to schlep along an opposing force, there will be a Dragon Rampant game with them.
These are obviously the least probable, as the big majority of figures for them still needs to be painted.

So, let's get back together a year from now and see how many of these games were actually played :)


3 comments:

  1. I admire and applaud your optimism and look forward to seeing it turn to reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If allowed, I might be able to come over to play along in one of your games. I should check it out, but I even might have a fantasy army to play Dragon Rampart.

    ReplyDelete