Monday 13 July 2015

How many miniatures do you actually need?

Most wargamers I know have acquired "the lead mountain" over the years. The lead mountain is the heap of unpainted miniatures, that easily will give you enough painting and gaming pleasure for the rest of your foreseeable life, taking into account optimistic estimates of life expectancy as well as gaming frequency.

I too have amassed a large collection of miniatures over the years. Several years ago I made the decision to be more careful with what I buy. Since then, the rate of new acquisitions has dropped sharply. But sometimes, there are deals or opportunities that cannot be ignored. One of these was the original Reaper Bones Kickstarter campaign. I participated in that one, and it provided me with lots of nice fantasy miniatures, some of which  - especially the dragons - were used during our Crisis 2014 game. The came Bones 2. Again, I participated. And now there is Bones 3. But this time, I'll pass.

It just seemed liked yesterday when my Bones 2 figures arrived. I feel Bones 3 is coming too soon. Moreover, how many miniatures do you really need? Right now, I feel saturated. I never thought I would reach this point, but I have no problem in saying "no". Enough is enough! We must stop this madness!

Slowly but surely I am converting to a wargamer that only will buy figures is there is a 99% chance probability that they will be painted and used on the gaming table in the next couple of months. Otherwise, there is simply no sense to buying more stuff. Or is there?

Hydra from Bones 1 - and saw the gaming table during Crisis 2015.

1 comment:

  1. The answer to that age old question. Just a few more :)

    ReplyDelete