Friday 20 August 2021

A few more magazines and the wargaming hoard ...

Yesterday I received a few more missing magazines to add to the growing database and my wargaming magazine collection.

 I received them from a wargaming friend, who is handling (part of) a large wargaming collection from a deceased wargaming friend of his, who passed away unexpectedly. Apparantly, the amount of wargaming figures, books, rules he left  ... is rather huge.

It makes you wonder what will happen to your own hoard. It's something I'm not terribly worried about yet (still young and healthy), but still ... Over the past years I've made a habit of trying to get rid of many old books and games of which I'm pretty sure I will never read or play them again. I'm trying to keep my collection within certain bounds - although it is still very large ;-) But I'm not allowing my hoard to expand without limits anymore.


4 comments:

  1. A timely and relevant post. Having just hit early retirement, my thoughts and efforts have turned to culling the hoard. The first to go were my magazine collections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be nice if I could leave all the gaming stuff to some sort of club, but no doubt it'll just end up in the trash when the house is cleared. So sad :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's best to donate, sell, or give away your stuff well in advance. Especially all the things from years long gone, whose useful play value only decreases over the years. There are only so many things that are worthwhile for collectors or future wargamers.

      These days, I regularly purge my collection (not only games, also books). Especially soft-cover editions etc. Better to give them a better home now than no home at all 20 years from now.

      Delete
  3. W.r.t. 'general' history books etc: much of the info can be found online these days. I rarely still consult books for general reference - although I do keep some specialized reference books (uniforms etc.) in physical form. So I also started getting rid of many of my books. If I'm honest with myself, most of them I'll never read or consult again. Exceptions can be made for very nice editions, but such books can be decorative items by themselves.

    ReplyDelete