Saturday 17 December 2022

More work on the Wargames Magazine Index!

A few years ago I started to index all my articles in my magazine collection. Then the magazine collection started to grow through many donations, and now I have a backlog of magazines I still need to enter into the database. Perhaps this Christmas break will allow me to catch on.

I have used my index quite extensively over the years, often to relocate some article I vaguely remember, or to hunt for a good scenario. Sometimes, I help out other bloggers when they are in search of a specific article. Every time this happens, I reread that particular magazine issue and update its entries a little bit in the database. So the database is a "living thing".

Nevertheless, the database remains far from complete. I don't have subscriptions to all current magazines, and certainly have not acquired all copies of extinct magazines. But I see this as a lifelong project. There's no rush.

A new problem has arisen though, and that is that British magazines have more difficulties making it across the channel. Blame you-know-what. Each time a magazine doesn't arrive I contact the relevant subscription services and a replacement copy often arrives a few days later. So those issues (usually in an ordinary non-transparant envelope) do arrive. Perhaps someone in my local post office is snatching all those magazines, but on the other hand, a friend says she has the same problems with a British gardening magazine she's subscribed to. Issues fail to arrive, ever since the you-know-what-agreement kicked in. All those benefits!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your work in maintaining an index - I've found it useful on many occasions in just the same ways that you mentioned.
    As for those other "benefits" you mention, they were supposed to be felt on the other side of La Manche, and we can all see how well that is going...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad to hear you've found it useful.

      Delete
  2. Hi Phil. I recently had the same problem with a few magazines. And when I asked for replacements, I got a wrong issue (and one correct). When I again contacted the publisher, there was no reaction anymore. I think I will stop buying magazines, once my sub is over. Sad but it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wim, Exactly my thoughts as well. There's not much sense in subscribing when the magazines do not arrive in a reliable manner.

      Delete