Friday 31 July 2009

A bit of a painting challenge...

Some time ago, I played a game of fantasy naval wargame [Uncharted Seas](http://www.spartangames.co.uk/uncharted.htm) at JP's, and had a blast of a time. As a result, upon coming home, I ordered a copy of the rules and the Human navy battle fleet.

Then I made the 'mistake' of mentioning this to Frank, and showing him the miniatures. This led to him ordering no less than 4 other fleets (Human, Dwarven, Elven, Shroud Mages -- Frank, correct me if I'm wrong). His fleets arrived yesterday and, being the fast painter that he is, one is already painted :). He's setting up a game next Tuesday, and I want to have my fleet painted by then.

So that's my painting challenge for this weekend - paint a battleship, three cruisers and nine frigates for Uncharted Seas. Let's see if I can do it.

One thing is already going my way in this: I wanted to use decals for the designs on the sails of the ships (I'm doing a duck design, of course) and ordered some inkjet decal printing paper from [Online Paper](http://www.on-linepaper.co.uk). Having only ordered it Wednesday, I was very pleasantly surprised when it turned up in the mail this morning. Great customer service! So, the decals can be on by Tuesday as well.

The current plan is to prep and prime the ships tonight, and paint them tomorrow and Sunday. By Sunday evening, they should be done. Let's see.

*Update*: Priming and prepping is done, so still on schedule. Things went awry early on though, when my can of spray primer ran out half way through priming the ships...

*Update 2*: They're going to be finished in time. It's now Saturday 9pm (or so) and the ships are done except for the final layer of the sails. To do that, I first need to put on the transfers, which I have just printed, hoping I've picked the right side of the paper to print on. Once the transfers are done, it's just the final layer on the sails, and then glueing the masts into the ships and they're done. I'm going to give myself 10 Olley points for this paint job - it's 13 ships (1 battleship, 3 cruisers and 9 frigates) but they paint up faster than a 28mm figure (as I'm using drybrushing for the majority of the paint job), so 10 points sounds about right.

1 comment:

  1. Bart,
    Glad to hear you like Uncharted Seas. I'm about half way through my Dwarves and Elves. I got JP the Shroud Mages for his 50th birthday. Good luck on the painting, I'm sure it will be up to your usual excellent standards.
    David B.

    ReplyDelete