Wednesday 22 July 2009

Youngsters and Wargaming

Last Sunday my sister-in-law's family visited for a family BBQ. Nothing out of the ordinary, except for the fact that 2 boys, aged 10 and 13 were also present, and as is usual these days with kids these days, easily bored. After all, my XBOX crashed a couple of months ago, and I still didn't find the time to replace it.

So, it was back to old-school games. I showed them the wargaming room - and suddenly, they were all excited. They wanted a piece of the action right there. Of course, I didn't want to be impolite to our adult guests, so hosting a 'real' wargame was not really an option. So I took out Battlecry, an old favourite that I didn't touch in years. I explained them the rules in 10 minutes (omitting several things for the sake of simplicity), and off they went. They enjoyed it tremendously, so they took the game home with them, and maybe now, they are going through all the different battlea. On the other hand, they might already be bored with the whole experience and have reverted to computer games... who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment