Sunday 29 March 2020

Hyboria

I recently received a large donation of Battle for Wargamers for my indexing project. All magazine shave been entered some time ago, so maybe now it's time to provide the discerning connaisseur wargamer with some selected content.

The first article is from Tony Bath, and describes his classic Hyboria campaign, from the January 1978 issue. I've always been an admirer of how Bath managed to pull this off and setting the scene for what was to come hobby wargaming. In a sense, he has been a more influential figure on the hobby than Don Featherstone, but perhaps we should discuss that over a pint of (Belgian) beer ...




6 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff. Ahead of his time. A lot of modern game designers could learn from these old Masters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Quite amazing how many of the ideas that define wargaming as we know it were already in existence back then.

      Delete
  2. I remember reading about this campaign and was fascinated. Unfortunately, for a few months the mag wasn't available in this country, so I missed a few of the middle articles. But I did get to read the whole play by mail story. Who knew Charles Grant would make such a convincingly bloodthirsty tyrant?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the story is also described in the reprint by John Curry: http://www.wargaming.co/recreation/details/tbcampaigns.htm

      Delete
  3. Battle Magazine was brilliant - but rather hard to get hold of at the time I remember .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received a bunch of old issues last November. Still a few missing, but I'm trying to hunt them down.

      Delete