Wednesday 29 December 2021

What to do with old miniatures?

Listening to a wargaming podcast yesterday, the topic was discussed whether you should sell miniatures of projects that have finished and will probably not used again.

I have been painting miniatures for at least 30 years, but never sold any that I have painted myself. Over the years, I have painted many miniatures for games we used to play quite lot at that point in time, but are now sitting idle in my wargaming room.

A good example are my Full Thrust spaceships. All bought and painted in the 90s, but I think it has been 15 years or so since we have played a FT game. So, what to do with them? Hold on to them for nostalgic reasons, knowing that they'll probably never see a gaming table again? Or passing them on, then regretting it several years later? Or simply consider them as trophies and mementos of gaming days long gone?

My drawer with spaceships. They saw quite frequent space combats, but now have been sitting idle for almost 15 years.


8 comments:

  1. A dilemma unsolved at my end. I need the space back but I have rarely not regretted a sale eventually - I figure that I liked the genre enough once it will do so again later on.

    And yes, I have a box of space ships untouched for at least 15 years too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's indeed a dilemma. I still have plans for grand campaigns in all sorts of periods, but time is running out sooner or later.

      Delete
  2. I have a whole bunch of stuff that I would simply prefer to give away, only nobody seems to want it :-)

    It is of course old stuff, in some cases dating back to the 90s, and some of it is badly painted. None of it is well painted. I think I might be able to sell it to Oldhammerers or other grognards online, but really, I don't want to bother with ebay & shipping hassles, certainly not post-Brexit. So for now it stays boxed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I've done with old boardgames is simply to give them away for free through a local charity shop or so. But with miniatures that's much harder. Miniatures are very much a 'personal' project, not always to the liking of fellow wargamers, even if interested in the same period.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure they would actually want old metal miniatures. I did see some boxes of esci 1/72 plastic napoleonics in the local charity shop recently though :-)

      Maybe I'll just put a big give away post on facebook someday in one of those selling groups.

      Delete
    3. Yes, as I said, wargaming miniatures are too 'specialized' for donating them to a local charity shop. It might work for generic plastic toys or boardgames, but not miniatures.

      Delete
  3. I've sold off many armies over the years and only once have I really regretted it- so much so that I have started that particular period over again. Sometimes I get bored with a period- as I did with Dark Ages warfare and also the ACW(still have both collections but want them sold so I can buy some different toys!) sometimes I want to do a period in a different way so for me the dilemma is a bit different but still a dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting a period again after having sold armies of that same period, that's hard-core wargaming! :-)

      Delete